AlpacaGram 11.15 | Transporting Alpacas

AlpacaGram 11.15
AlpacaGram 11.15March 26, 2024

Animal Transportation and Show Requirements from GIRCom

Are you planning to transport your alpacas to an AOA show or another state? If so, a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), also known as a health certificate, will probably be required. A CVI is an official document issued by a veterinarian certifying that the animals identified on the document have been inspected and were found to satisfy the regulations pertaining to their intended movement. These requirements help to ensure that the alpacas being moved do not carry illnesses or external parasites that could be harmful to those in the destination area or that are participating in the show.

In addition to meeting various physical health criteria, the alpacas being transported may need to have certain tests or procedures done, or a specific type of microchip, depending on the event and/or the destination location.

Transport to all AOA certified shows requires submission of a copy of a CVI which includes each alpaca’s name, microchip ID number, location of the microchip, and BVDV information. The CVI must be completed not more than 30 days prior to the last date of the show. The identification of each alpaca must be accomplished by microchip or official USDA approved ear tags embedded with a microchip. Alpacas must be tested for BVDV using the PCR test, with the result written on the CVI with the date of the test, the lab that performed it and the testing method.

Each state has their own livestock importation requirements. Before moving animals to another state, you should always check with the state-of-destination for that state's specific requirements well before anticipated travel. For example, camelids over six months of age being transported to Nebraska must be tested and found to be negative for brucellosis and TB within sixty days prior to entry. With a recent outbreak of vesicular stomatitis (VS) in the West, although it has not been reported in camelids, some states require livestock to be examined for VS within forty-eight hours of importation. There may also be new microchip requirements in some states.

There has been an issue with transporting alpacas from Oklahoma to Texas for veterinary care. overnment and Industry Relations Committee (GIRCom) worked with the Texas state veterinarian to establish the following procedure: Livestock, including llamas and alpacas, are permitted to enter Texas with a specific VetCare permit in lieu of the normal entry requirements (CVI, Official ID, and entry permit). To obtain a VetCare permit, the information needed is state of origin, destination clinic in Texas, and appointment date. You can call the Program Records Department, Texas Animal Health Commission at 512-719-0777 and receive this permit over the phone. An after-hours permit may be requested via voicemail for weekend or after hours for emergency situations. When using the VetCare permit, the animals must come to the Texas veterinary clinic, get their care, and go directly home afterwords. If a CVI is requested, the veterinarian issuing the CVI needs to be accredited in both Texas and Oklahoma.

For more information you may visit for a list of state animal health offices.

With travel requirements subject to change, it is important to talk to your veterinarian well in advance of anticipated interstate travel.

Roaring Acres Alpacas LLCAOA Silver BenefactorsShalimar Alpacas

© 2024 Alpaca Owners Association, Inc.